A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed42 The Vineyard
Built about 1868 as Richmond was spreading up Richmond Hill, this three-storey pub (with two-storey block on the right), has one truly outstanding feature, no doubt dating from the building of the pub. This is the immensely florid bar-back which presents three faces within the L-shaped servery. It has a terrific display of Corinthian columns and an entablature whose elaborate cornice sits on little modillions (that is, the rows of small square blocks on the underside). The panelled counter, almost certainly contemporary, is very much plainer with simple recessed panels and little console brackets. The right-hand side (former saloon) has what seems to be an inter-war counter which is perhaps the date of the two brick fire surrounds in the pub. The ornate Victorian fireplace on the left-hand side has been resited here from upstairs. There has been quite a bit of opening up, especially on the left-hand side.
Built about 1868 as Richmond was spreading over the spaces on Richmond Hill, this pub has a prominent position on a street corner, with a three-storey main block and a smaller, two-storey one on the right. An extension was added to the rear in 1924. The stand-out feature is a remarkably florid, mirrored bar-back, no doubt dating from the building of the pub. It has three faces within the L-shaped servery and a terrific display of classical columns and an entablature which has an elaborate cornice sitting on little modillions (that is, the rows of small square blocks on the underside). The panelled counter is very much plainer with simple recessed panels and little console brackets. On the right-hand side was a saloon and here the fittings are very different with what looks like an interwar counter with rounded corners (it has a couple of (now sealed) doors for servicing beer engines). In fact it seems that there was probably more work done at the time, notably the installation of two brick fire surrounds, one on each side of the pub. It’s hard to date the wall treatment with its applied upright timbers. The ornate Victorian fireplace on the left-hand side has, it seems, plaster decoration, and was resited here some years ago from upstairs. There has been quite a bit of opening up, especially on the left-hand side. There was formerly a function room upstairs and between 1985 and 1995 this operated as a small theatre for experimental productions: the upstairs parts were then colonised by the present 11-bedroom B&B accommodation. Hopefully you will not find the large expanses of magenta paint overpowering!Read More