A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status:89 Fulham High Street
Late Victorian brick building of three storeys. The pub features fielded paneling in light oak to picture frame height; almost horseshoe-shaped bar counter with a frontage of narrow vertical planks; on the far left is a 1930s brick fireplace; and on the right are good settles.
Late Victorian brick building of three storeys with wooden ground floor frontage and a narrow strip of dark green glazed brick on the left (as per Harlequin WC1). From old photos, this was possibly a Helmore & Brandon’s Putney Brewery pub – a brewery that in 1884 changed into the name of A J Brandon only (from the London Gazette) and became Brandon’s Putney Brewery Ltd.; acquired by Mann, Crossman & Paulin Ltd. in 1920 – the brewery closed in 1949.
Inside is a U-shaped single room. Two doors in use and signs of a third in the middle so likely layout of two bars and off sales in the middle. Has fielded paneling in light oak to picture frame height. It has an almost horseshoe-shaped bar counter with a frontage of narrow vertical planks that are pointed at the bottom. The pub may have been subject to an inter-war refit by Mann, Crossman & Paulin Ltd. (The bar counter is similar to that at the Harlequin, Finsbury). On the far left is a 1930s brick fireplace. Good settles on the right and high-backed benches but likely to be more modern than old.
There is a separate counter on the rear right in the same style with an open kitchen behind it so possibly changes here.