A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed15 High Hill Ferry
Two-storey pub built 1851 with a brown brick ground floor (dado is glazed brick) and rendered first floor. Canted bar looks to be inter-war, with filled in spittoon trough at its base. There are some old mirrors in the bar back; the old dado panelling is painted grey; and a 1930s brick fireplace on the right with a coal fire.
Overlooking the River Lea Navigation, this is a two-storey pub built 1851 with a brown brick ground floor (dado is glazed brick) and rendered first floor. Note ‘The Anchor & Hope’ in stone relief above the main corner door. Now a small single roomed pub as a result of the removal of the wall separating the pub into two in 1962. Locals claim the right hand small room on the right (before the partition / wall removed) was an off sales and kids bought sweets from here.
The canted bar counter looks like it might be from the inter-war period and has a spittoon trough around the base but now filled in. The top is old. There are two bar back fittings, one with some old mirrors. Woodwork painted dark green. The pot shelf is modern. On right hand side the lower shelves are intact but the right hand side ones have been replaced by fridges. The room has old dado panelling recently painted a gastro grey colour. There is a small 1930s brick fireplace on the right with a coal fire. There is a wide arch to a rear area with panelling on the walls – old dado painted a gastro grey colour and above it more modern painted a cream colour. There is a window to the back of the servery that may have been a hatch in the past? A radiator sits in the front of what was a fireplace in the rear area. Modernised toilets.