Ship

Greater London North - Tottenham

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

499 High Road
Tottenham
N17 6QA

Tel: (020) 8808 1645

Nearby Station: Tottenham Hale

Station Distance: 900m

View on: Whatpub

Late Victorian pub built of brick over three storeys. The entranceway on the right has a richly tiled dado, where there is also some glazed screening to indicate where some of the entrance lobby might have been. The right wall of this side of the bar continues with the glazed tiling of the dado, in rich colours and showing panels with a floral motif.

The left side bar is more plain and seems to have been the public bar. The wall has a wooden slatted dado, and there is a large and splendid old Taylor Walker mirror. The island bar in the centre has a pleasing curved, rectangular shape with an old solid wood countertop and solid wood surround. The central stillion is imposing; the ceiling is painted Lincrusta with intricate embossed patterns; and at the rear is a staircase that is partially tiled in green glaze with a brown trim.

There is record of a coaching inn on the site going back to 1610 but what we see now is a smaller, late Victorian establishment. Built of brick over three storeys the exterior has strong features including the pub name in a lozenge-shaped panel on the balustrade, prominent, proud lettering for the pub name, two panels sporting plaster bas-reliefs of a ship, two large lanterns and a ground floor lavishly covered in green glazed tiles. A former Taylor Walker pub.

Out of three former external doors, only those on the left and right are still functioning and open direct into a single bar. The door to the right of the building has a richly tiled dado in what might well have been formerly a passageway to the rear saloon. There is glazed screening to indicate where some of the entrance lobby might have been, although it seems that the screens could have been moved. The right wall of this side of the bar continues with the glazed tiling of the dado, in rich colours and showing panels with a floral motif, although sadly much of it is hidden by seating. There is a Victorian cast iron fireplace with a broad mantelpiece supported by four columns over which is an oval mirror with a decorated surround, all in cast iron.

The left side bar is more plain and seems to have been the public bar, as indicated on the disused door with the etched word ‘Public’. The wall has a wooden slatted dado which has been painted. There is a large and splendid old Taylor Walker mirror. The markings on the bar and the site of old doors suggest originally two small private bars or snugs to the front, which would have originally created a four-room pub.

The island bar in the centre has a pleasing curved, rectangular shape with an old solid wood countertop and solid wood surround. The central stillion is imposing, although the top section looks to be a more recent addition. The ceiling is painted Lincrusta with intricate embossed patterns. At the rear is a section for games and a staircase that is partially tiled in green glaze with a brown trim, which ascends part way up the stairs in odd fashion, appearing to peter out. There is a Guinness mirror in the stairwell.

Read More