A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status:151 Shooters Hill
Tel: (020) 8856 0691
Real Ale: Yes
Nearby Station: Falconwood
Station Distance: 1500m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Falconwood) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
Two-storey pub rebuilt 1881 of red brick and retains two rooms. The semi circular bar counter in the lounge bar at the rear looks old, as do the bar backs (1930s or earlier) with a number of narrow mirrored panels. There's also a 1930s brick fireplace, and an old baffle by the door. The Public Bar also contains heritage features such as frosted panels in surviving doors, parts of the bar counter and the bar back (wooden arch, pillars).
Two-storey pub rebuilt 1881 of red brick with a panel of a sunflower in relief and retains two (of originally three) rooms and even the off sales shop on the right remains but long disused.
Large surviving off sales shop on the right survives, together with most of the counter, although one corner has been removed for ease of access. It retains the original shelving and is currently used for storage, but is likely to be lost soon, to be converted into a tea room by the pub's Pizza franchise.
Lounge bar at rear of the pub is entered through an exterior lobby on Shrewsbury Road side with a black and white tiled floor. The semi circular bar counter looks old, and the bar backs are also old (1930s or earlier) with a number of narrow mirrored panels. The pot shelf above the bar is modern. There is a 1930s brick fireplace, and an old baffle by the door. The ladies has inter-war white dado tiling with a green border throughout; gents toilets have no old fittings.
Public bar on Shooters Hill side of the pub is entered through a vestibule with a tiled floor and two doors (only the right one in use). This indicates two rooms have been knocked together. Additionally, a corner door is now bricked up (many years ago?) which locals claim led to a snug. Frosted panels in the surviving doors. The counter - from the appearance of the hatch - seems old, but has been refronted and a new top added in the 1960s. Parts of the bar back (wooden arch, pillars) are original, but mosaic mirrors, illuminated panels on the top of the bar back with ‘The Bull’ and a Courage Cockerel; and shelving look to be addition from c.1960. Lower shelving lost to fridges. There is good cornice painted dark red.