Prince Albert

Greater London North West - London

A historic pub interior of some regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

163 Royal College Street
London, Camden Town
NW1 0SG

Tel: (020) 7485 0270

Email: hello@princealbert.pub

Website https://www.princealbert.pub/

Real Ale: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

Nearby Station: Kentish Town

Station Distance: 1000m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Kentish Town) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

Built in 1843, this pub is a three-storey building of London brick situated on a corner. The bare boarded U-shaped interior has most of the walls with three-quarter height fielded panelling sadly now painted a cream colour. The mirrored bar back has a narrow mirrored top section with the wording ‘Ales’, ‘Wines’, ‘Spirits’, ‘Stout’. There's a good 1930s Art Deco tiled fireplace at the rear right with a brown and cream ceramic interior.

Built in 1843, it is three-storey building of London brick situated on a corner. The ground floor was given an impressive exterior in the early 1900s so the ground floor is covered in dark green tiling with ceramic light green archways around door and windows. The fascia is of cream coloured tiling with, from the left Lyme Street side the wording “OFF’ ‘LICENSE’ ‘PRINCE ALBERT’, on the Georgiana Street elevation ‘PALE’ ‘CHARRINGTON’S’ ‘ALES’, and on Royal College Street side ‘PRINCE ALBERT’, ‘PALE’ AND ‘CHARRINGTON’S’. Also, on the Lyme Street side is a large arched ceramic filled with cream tiles on which is written ‘CHARRINGTON’S ALES & STOUT’ and their anchor symbol. Charrington’s brewed at the Anchor Brewery and when they bought Hoare & Co in 1933 who had a symbol of the Toby Jug it was adopted by Charringtons’. Signs of four/five doors.

The pub was subject to a refurbishment in the inter-war years hence the leaded glass windows etc. The bare boarded U-shaped interior has most of the walls with three-quarter height fielded panelling but, sadly, recently it has been painted a cream colour. There are signs that the bar counter is much smaller than originally. The mirrored bar back has a narrow mirrored top section with the wording ‘Ales’, ‘Wines’, ‘Spirits’, ‘Stout’, but lower shelving lost to fridges. Good 1930s Art Deco tiled fireplace at the rear right with a brown and cream ceramic interior. Upstairs the bare boarded room has no old fittings. The exterior wording confirms an off license has been absorbed.

Read More