A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed303 Sharrow Vale Road
The pub has a lobby entrance and Tap Room at the front and L-shaped lounge at the rear, both served by a central bar. Separate function room, with own bar, at the rear. Some Art Deco features including door fittings. Copious wood panelling. Lounge has two fireplaces, one probably original (left) and the other bought-in. The site was previously that of a water mill.
There was a major re-building by Mappins Brewery of Rotherham in the 1930s and much remains of the layout and fittings from that time. The only remains of the original 19th. century building is at the rear right where a large former dining room is now the function room.
The current layout consists of a public bar at the front, the lounge beyond with a centrally placed servery between them, and former off-sales with its separate door on Lescar Lane. A snug at the rear left has been opened up to the lounge and a passage leads to the function room. Plans of 1955 by Wm Stones, who had just taken over Mappins Brewery, show a floor plan that is otherwise identical to the present one - the off-sales is visible but is now used for glass washing.
The public bar has a lobby with a terrazzo floor, a dado of inter-war fielded panelling and doors with 1930s etched and frosted panels (3 in each). The bar counter dates from the inter-war period but fresh panels have been added to the front. The two sections of Art Deco fixed seating look to be from the late 1930s, but a third section on the right hand side was removed in the 1980s and it has lost its fireplace.
A doorway leads to the lounge which also retains its lobby on Lescar Lane side with a terrazzo floor, a dado of inter-war fielded panelling and doors with 1930s etched and frosted panels (3 in each). The bar counter dates from the inter-war period but as with the public bar but has modern carved panels added to the front, the island gantry is totally modern. The Art Deco fireplace here looks to be an import. The fixed seating is of an unknown date, there is some fielded panelling on the dado. The snug retains its Art Deco fixed seating which looks to be from the late 1930s but it was opened-up possibly in the 1980s. The fireplace has a 1930s wood surround but the cast-iron interior is modern.
A wide passage with a dado of fielded panelling and plaster decoration on the ceiling leads to the function room at the rear right. The plans of 1955 show a replacement bar counter moved to the present position, but the present one dates from the 1990s. Toilets have modern tiling.