A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed69 Broad Lane
Tel: (0114) 272 8430
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Sheffield
Station Distance: 1050m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Sheffield) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
Little altered since a major refit of 1953 which decked the walls throughout with full-height ply panelling – material typical of that time. The highlight is the tiny front snug, originally the ‘dram shop’, with its very old counter and ‘Fagan’s’ etched and frosted window. (The name honours Joe Fagan, who was the characterful, long-serving licensee here from 1947-1985).
Probably, the oldest pub in central Sheffield, build c1790. It is documented on an 1815 plan, 'Barrel Public House, Broad Lane, measured for Rawson & Co.' This indicates that the current left-hand room was, at that time, a neighbouring tenement, the pub and the tenement sharing a yard at the rear of the property.
The last major change to the interior was in 1953 (architect, John Foster). A plan of the 'Proposed Alterations' indicates that the only structural changes are: (1) an extension which includes the current inside toilets. This necessitated the blocking of a window in the Public Lounge. (2) removal of an internal wall opposite the bar, thus opening up the tap room into the current larger, 'Lounge Hall.'
It is little changed since then apart from the adding of a small room at the back that was previously private quarters.
The front left room is a 1953 amalgamation of two small rooms. The walls were covered in full height ply panels and the fixed seating looks to date from then. Front windows have ‘Public’ and ‘Lounge’ etched and frosted panels. The only change here is the cutting of a doorway at the rear to give better access to the toilets.
On the front right is a tiny snug originally called the dram shop – a pub room name only seen in the Sheffield area (the wording appears in the ceramic exterior of the Ship, Shalesmoor). The snug has a very old counter and the walls are covered with ply panelling from 1953. It has a ‘Fagan’s’ etched and frosted exterior window and retains its door with the figure ‘1.’
The main bar counter has ply panelled front from 1953 and the bar back is mostly from 1953 with some glass shelves. One fridge has replaced some of lower shelving. The row of small leaded glazed panels above the bar counter were added in c.1986.
There have only been three licensees in the past 100 years. Ex-Bomber Command, Joseph Michael (Joe) Fagan ran the pub from July 1948 until September 1985 becoming Tetley’s longest serving landlord. A new sign was erected in 1985. After this sign rotted, it was replaced in 2008 with a sign which shows a photo of Joe against a bomber. Joe died only a few weeks after passing on the tenancy to the current Landlord, Thomas Patrick (Tom) Boulding.
Sheffield artist Pete McKee, famous for his comic cartoon paintings, took to the streets of Sheffield in April 2013 to a bigger canvas: the gable end of Fagans is the home of one of Pete's projects, 'The Snog'. At the time, this was the largest mural painted by Pete. The mural on the gable end at Fox Valley (Stocksbridge), completed in May 2016, dwarves this example.
In the 19th.century, the pub was owned by local brewer, Rawsons. In turn ownership passed to Gilmours, Tetleys, Allied Breweries and, currently, Punch Taverns.