Manor Castle

South Yorkshire - Sheffield

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

Manor Lane
Sheffield, Manor Park
S2 1UJ

Tel: (0114) 272 4768

Nearby Station: Sheffield

Station Distance: 1900m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Meadowhall) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

Following a c1930 refit, the two delightful small ‘lounges’ are notable remnants.

The Manor Castle came into the hands of the Burton brewers Ind Coope following their 1914 takeover of the local Hooson’s brewery. It was given a major refit around 1930, of which the two small ‘lounges’ are notable remnants. Both preserve their wood panelling, fixed seating and bell-pushes. The front lounge has an attractive curved bar-counter while service to the back lounge is via a glazed ‘stable door’. Apart from two surviving Thirties fireplaces, the large main bar is wholly modernised.

The Manor Castle came into the hands of the Burton brewers Ind Coope following their 1914 takeover of the local Hooson’s brewery. It was given a major refit in 1936, of which the two delightful small ‘lounges’ are notable remnants. Both preserve their wood panelling, fixed seating and bell-pushes. The front lounge has an attractive curved bar-counter while service to the back lounge is via a glazed ‘stable door’. Apart from two surviving Thirties fireplaces, the large main bar is wholly modernised.

The 1936 plans (architects: Holmes Son and Archer (Sheffield) for Ind Coope and Allsopp Ltd.) show a previous four-room layout with a small 'serving bar' in the rear right Snug. This is replaced by the current configuration of a central 'Service Bar' which then serves four rooms: a public bar on the right, off-sales at the front and, to the left a lounge with a smoke room at the rear of the building.

1981 brought an expansion of the ladies toilets at the rear right of the building and the creation of a lobby leading from the tap room to the rear smoke room (Shepherd Fowler and Robinson for Joshua Tetley and Sons Ltd.). 1992 saw the loss of the off-sales to an extension of the Public Bar (Malt Kiln Galleries for Joshua Tetley and Son Ltd.). 2003 (Fusion by Design, Leeds for Pinch Pub Co) saw the installation of a disabled toilet at the rear left of the building.

Full Description