A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: II22 The Street
A pub since at least 1836, it has been modernised and extended over the years but the original bar and small rooms on the right are little changed. Note the old glass confectionary display still in use and the Bullards Brewery framed poster.
A flint walled cottage built c.1820 and licensed since at least 1836. It has been modernised and extended over the years but the original bar and small rooms on the right are little changed. It is Grade II listed and has been run by the Temple family since 1899. From the front door in a small room down two steps on the right is the original bar which retains an old bar counter and also on the left wall old lower bar back shelving. A photo on the wall shows there was old shelving on the left and right, and glazing above the left shelves so the old looking back fitting at the rear is modern. The room has old dado panelling with bare benches attached to it at the front including around the bay window. Old scrubbed top tables add to the atmosphere as does the log fire in the modern fireplace. A doorway to the right leads to the snug, a bare wood floored small room with a Victorian tiled and cast-iron fireplace. At the rear right is another small room that was the private living room in the past and has a Victorian tiled, cast-iron and wood surround fireplace and old wall cupboards.
Up to 2000 there was a flat roofed extension that looked like it had been added by Watneys/Bullards in the 1960s - now a flint walled one has replaced it. On the left is a modern bar, a large dining room and also the sales point for the year-round Temples Seal Trips by boat to Blakeney Point - see www.sealtrips.co.uk for sailing times etc. or ring 01263 740791. Note the old glass confectionary display still in use and the Bullards Brewery framed poster over the fireplace.