A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed40 Main Road
The pub has evolved from a small, partitioned, basic tap room on the right, now opened up to the passageway - a section of partition was removed in the early 1990s and the 1930s fireplace replaced. The servery is a mixture of old and new, the glazed area at the top definitely being the former. A short passage leads to a small snug- type room with 1930s tiled fireplace and fixed seating - the room was supposedly in use in 1906. The large lounge occupies what was once a row of back-to-back cottages.
The pub has evolved from a small partitioned basic tap room on the right, which is now opened-up to the passageway. Photos over the fireplace of this small panelled area show more of the partition with its basic wall bench seating held up to the beams by iron stays. A section of the partition was been removed in the early 1990s and the former 1930s tiled fireplace replaced. The servery appears to be a mixture of old and new - the glazed area at the top is definitely ancient. There is an unusual arrangement of a short passage to a small comfortable snug-type room with a 1930s tiled fireplace (covered over by a radiator) and fixed seating (probably of a similar date). (Pub claims this room was in use in 1906). Originally a row of back-to-back cottages, the large Lounge has an old boarded ceiling and would have been partitioned into small rooms in the past. It may have had its own small bar in a corner near the bar (or back wall)?Read More