A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed248 Carlton Road
The only significant change to this pub since it was built for Warwicks & Richardsons of Newark in 1958 is the absorbtion of the off-sales into the smoke room in the 1960s. All the bar fittings, fixed seating, toilets and even the furniture date from 1958, their longevity no doubt connected to the fact that the same tenant (George Dove) was in charge from opening until his recent death (and his widow still runs the pub). Even the till is dated 1959, having been converted to decimal in 1971. The weighing machine in the lobby still records pounds and stones - none of your foreign kilos here! Please note the pub keeps traditional hours, closing in the afternoon.
Built by Warwicks & Richardsons in 1958. Only change is the removal of the off-sales by absorbing it with the smoke room in early 60's, though it is difficult to spot that there was another door on the far right and the seating has been repositioned (a fireplace was lost). All the bar fittings, fixed seating, toilets, even the furniture date from 1958 as did the tenancy of George Dove who was in charge when the pub opened its doors at 6pm on Friday 24th October and remained in charge until his recent death. Even the till is dated from 1959 having been converted to decimal in 1971. The weighing machine in the lobby is still in lbs and stones - no modern kilos here. Please note it also keeps traditional hours and closes in the afternoon.Read More