A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: IIHoundsgate, Maid Marian Way
The present pub is a combination of three buildings, the oldest of which has a 1240 date outside but is more likely to be a mix of 16th- and mid-18th century structures. The King Charles snug right of the narrow, flagged entrance passage is the oldest room, with genuinely ancient beams but fittings from the Thirties and Sixties. Left of the passage is an extension into an adjoining 19th-century building and the small, bare-boarded Cromwell Snug again features a mix of Thirties and Sixties work. The passage then widens into a lobby area with bench seating and a door to extensive cellars hewn from the sandstone (to which access might be possible at quiet times). At the end is the third building, a Tudor-style hall from the 1930s with a much-altered interior, including a later first-floor gallery.
Dating from the 16th and mid 18th century, heavily restored and altered in the late 19th and again in mid and late 20th century. A combination of at least three buildings. The oldest part, facing St Nicholas Street, is jettied, and has a date of 1240 on the exterior. The entrance is into a narrow flagged passage with the oldest room on the right - the ‘King Charles Snug’ has a ‘1’ over the doorway, ancient beams, a 1930s brick fireplace but the (disused) brick and timber bar looks more 60s and fixed seating is not easy to date – probably more 60s than 30s. Left of the passage, the pub was extended into an adjoining brick building, probably early 19c, and here is the small bare boarded ‘Cromwell Snug’ with a ‘2’ on the door, dado fielded panelling with benches attached most of the way around which looks like 1930s work, but the copper infill and wood surround fireplace looks more 1960s. The passage widens out on the left into an internal lobby area with sloping flagged floor and bench seating. One door here leads down into one of the most extensive of the many sandstone cellars or caves in central Nottingham.
At the far end is the third main building, a Tudor-style hall from the 1930s, fronting Maid Marian Way. The interior is much altered here, suffering from several post-war refurbishments, the last probably in the 1970s, but the interesting timber-beamed roof structure can be examined from the first-floor gallery, which is probably a modern insertion. If you call at quiet times and ask you may be able to take a trip down two floor levels into the cellars.