A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed144 Magdalen Road
A fine public bar here, with a splendid bar back with vertical mirrored panels and more such along the top advertising Bullards products. Original bar counter but with new top. The small room to the right of the bar is also part of the original 1878-80 building.
Built 1878-80. The Whalebone is included for its public bar and in particular the splendid original and rare bar back advertising "Bullard & Son", "Ales', "& Stout" in narrow mirrored panels along the top and with also four narrow vertical mirror panels. The bar counter is also the original one but with a new top as is the red and black diamond quarry tiled floor. The off sales was situated opposite the side door. Another small room to the right of the bar is also an original one. The pub has been much extended and refurbished but this does not impact on the old parts. The licensee also has an old Bullards metal sign depicting the stubby men, which is situated in his office. In Norwich city centre, the Walnut Tree Shades, Old Post Office Court near the Arcade also has a very old bar back with top panels of "Brandies" and "Cigars".Read More