Swan in the Rushes

Leicestershire - Loughborough

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

21 The Rushes
Loughborough
LE11 5BE

Tel: (01509) 217014

Website http://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pubs/swan-in-the-rushes/

Real Ale: Yes

Real Cider: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

Nearby Station: Loughborough

Station Distance: 1600m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Loughborough) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

A 1932-built town pub (originally the Charnwood Inn) with glazed stone frontage and retaining its two rooms plus lobby layout. The smoke room, to the left of the terrazzo-floored lobby, has an as-built fireplace, parquet floor, fixed seating and baffle with leaded glass. The bar back has seen some changes and the counter has a 1960s look. In the right-hand bar, the counter (with a rare shallow copper trough running round the base) and the fixed seating, with plain baffles at each end, are original. Sadly, the original leaded front windows have given way to modern replacements. A small back room was previously part of the living quarters.

Built in 1932 as the Charnwood Inn (renamed in 1986) with glazed stone frontage, this town pub retains its two rooms and lobby layout. Left of the terrazzo floored lobby the smoke room retains 1930s tiled and wood surround fireplace, fixed seating, a 1930s baffle with leaded glass panel and parquet floor. The lower part of the bar back looks original but the upper part is modern and the counter looks as if it dates from c.1960 with ply panels. The right hand bar retains the original bar counter with a rare shallow copper trough running around the base, and original fixed seating with a plain baffle at each end but the bar back is likely to date from c.1986. Sadly, in typical Tynemill (now Castle Rock Brewery) fashion, the original leaded front windows with ‘Smoke Room’ and ‘Vaults’ wording on them have been replaced with modern windows. Majority of doors seem original. There is another small room at the rear that was originally part of the living quarters and upstairs is a World Beer Bar open at weekends.

Read More