A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II*23-25 Holywell Hill
OS ref: TL147070
Tel: (01727) 853624
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: St Albans Abbey
Station Distance: 650m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (St Albans Abbey) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
This late-15th century inn has suffered few changes since 'restoration' in 1935. In the two small bars, the counters and shelves attached to a part-stained and leaded partition within the servery are from that time but some modern shelves have been added. The panelling both here and in the room behind which doubles as the hotel reception also looks like 1930s work. Originally there were doors to the reception area at the rear of both bars but now there is a widish opening on the right hand side. The oak panelled walls in the two-part dining room at the back are considerably older, as is the large brick fireplace.
A late 15th century inn, the White Hart was' 'restored' in 1935 and the two small bars are little altered since. The half-timbered frontage was added in 1935 as the photo in the left hand bar shows. The two bar counters and shelves attached to a part stained and leaded partition within the servery date from 1935, but some more modern shelves have been added. The panelling in the bars and the room behind which doubles as the hotel reception look 1930s work. The fireplaces in the two bars are modern. Originally there were doors at the treat of both bars to the reception area but there is now a widish opening on the right hand side.
At the rear there is a two part dining room and at the rear the oak panelled walls are much older and could date back many centuries; as does the large brick fireplace with a fine fireback. The unusual cut-out swing sign was designed by the architect J C F James and was exhibited at the Inn Signs Exhibition in 1936.