A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: II11 Leicester Road
Tel: (01530) 484522
Real Ale: Yes
Public Transport: Near Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
This completely unspoilt local, in a former coal-mining village, is nicknamed ‘Polly Burton’s’ after the current landlady’s grandmother who started the business well over a century ago. The 1882 date on the front records when it was created from four cottages. A small entrance lobby, complete with off-sales hatch, leads into the public bar on the left. All-over quarry-tiled flooring and extensive bench seating straddle the two former cottage rooms. The servery fittings and both fireplaces are original and the only change seems to be the boxing-in of the seating in the late 20th century. There is nothing so fancy as a till - the takings are just popped into pint glasses. Right of the lobby, a small snug has a bare wooden floor, Victorian fireplace and basic bench seating; service is from a hatch to the back of the bar servery.
This completely unspoilt local in a former coal-mining village was a beerhouse in the mid-19th century. It has been in the hands of the Burton/Callaghan family since 1909 and is nicknamed 'Polly's', after the current landlady's grandmother. The 1882 date on the frontage probably may indicate alterations that turned it into the present structure. In the tiny inner lobby, which is more like a vestibule with part-glazed partition walls, the off-sales hatch with its diminutive sash windows is still in use today (although only occasionally). The public bar is through the latch door to the left which has a '1' on the inside - a requirement of licensing magistrates in the past to number pub rooms. The public bar has been this size since the building was converted to pub use as the red quarry-tiled floor and the extensive bench seating straddle 'the join' of two rooms in the former cottages. Original fittings include the low bar counter, bar-back shelves and wood surround fireplaces at the front left and rear right with rows of glazed bricks. Note the baffle at the end of the seating near the exit door to outside toilets. The only change seems to be the boxing-in of the seating in the later 20th century towards the rear. There is nothing as modern as a till here, just pint glasses for notes and some coins, with low-value coins just loosely laid on one of the shelves. The only modern item is the piano which is played for the occasional sing-song. To the right of the lobby is the tiny snug with a bare wooden floor, another Victorian fireplace with rows of tiles down each side and basic bench seating. Service is from a hatch to the back of the bar servery. There are three tables with Formica tops well worn from the regular playing of dominoes on them. Outside gents' and ladies' toilets.Read More