Abbey

West Midlands - Bearwood

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: II

Abbey Road
Bearwood
B67 5RA

Tel: (0121) 429 6067

Public Transport: Near Bus Stop

View on: Whatpub

This huge roadhouse was built in 1931 to a neo-Georgian design by Wood & Kendrick for Mitchells & Butlers. Predictably, much opening out and modernisation has subsequently taken place but sufficient remains to give a good idea of its former splendour. The public bar is dominated by a long bar counter and a mirrored bar back with paired pilasters and pedimented central bay. The wall formerly separating it from the smoke room has been removed. A separate side entrance leads into a hall with a smoke room off to the right. Ahead is a cavernous dining room/lounge where the counter and bar back at the far end have replaced a hatch to a servery behind. A loggia in the garden is currently boarded up and out of use.

Built in 1931 to a neo-Georgian design by Wood & Kendrick for M&B. The public bar is dominated by a hugely long counter and bar back. The former is finely carved with a panelled front whilst the latter is well mirrored and with paired pilasters and a pedimented central bay incorporating a clock. The terrazzo floor has given way to modern tiling but some bench seating survives. On the left, a door has been created into a new gents occupying the former off-sales. To the right there has been knocking through into the former smoke room - this had a separate entrance and customers of both this room and the public bar had to go outside to access the loos. A separate side entrance leads into a hall with toilets to the left; the gents' has its original terrazzo floor and walls. Front right is a smoke room, the door replaced by an open archway. Re-upholstered original bench seating is all around and a sixties counter has replaced a hatch. Good chimney-piece with curved wooden architrave then recent tiling but original grate. The back of the former off-sales can still be observed through an internal window. Ahead from the hall, the dining room/lounge has been much modernised with a new counter and bar back at the far end replacing a hatch to the servery behind, but the fireplace looks original. The loggia in the garden is boarded up and out of use.

Read More