A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: IICamp Lane
OS ref: SO834591
Tel: (01905) 640288
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
View on: Whatpub
Much of what we see dates from around 1936 when the pub was enlarged and a bar added for the first time. During this period, it served a section of the River Severn known as Grimley Lido, popular for sunbathing and swimming. The right-hand bar, slightly extended in the 1970s, has several 1930s features - fireplace, bar counter and hand-pumps dated 1936 - but modern bar back. The larger left room also has a Thirties fireplace plus a high-backed settle and service from a hatch cut into the wall. The panelling had to be replaced quite recently after flooding. The entrance on the car park side brings you into a small hall with intact off-sales hatch and split door leading to the staff servery. An uneven tiled-floor passage takes you to the public bar and a small snug, the latter with more flood-replacement panelling but old-looking benches. Plenty of 1930s Crittall windows throughout. Regular floods mean the pub is often closed so best to check ahead before visiting.
The Camp House was extended around 1936 when a bar was added for the first time and the layout and many fittings from that date remain – the pub has been run by the Wainwright family since 1936. In the 1930s it served what was called Grimley Lido, a section of the River Severn south of Bevere Lock that became very popular at that time for sunbathing and swimming.
The small right-hand bar has a red tiled floor, a small, possibly 1930s brick fireplace with a log fire, a bar counter that could date from the 1930s as there is a date of 1936 on the set of Gaskell & Chambers hand-pumps (but the counter front could have later replacement timber following flooding). The bar back is modern - an old (1950’s?) photo behind the bar shows the same counter but an older bar-back fitting. The bar area has been increased in size by a small 1970s extension on the river side of the pub.
The larger left room has a red-brick shaped tiled floor, a large 1930s brick fireplace with a copper hood, a large high-backed settle and service from a hatch cut into a wall where the counter could date from the 1930s. The panelling – dado and some full height – is modern having been replacements after flooding. There is a tiny alcove in the 1970s extension part of the room.
From the (rear) entrance on the car park side is a small hall with red tiled floor, intact off sales hatch and split door with ledge leading to the servery for staff. There is more replacement after flooding timber dado here and down the uneven tiled floor passage to the public bar. On the opposite side of the passage to the public bar is a small snug brought into use with a tiled floor, replacement after flooding timber dado, modern brick fireplace and old looking benches. Plenty of 1930s Crittall windows remain. Outside gents.
The pub gets flooded regularly and can be closed for months so best to ring ahead before making a visit.