A historic pub interior of regional importance
This pub is currently closed (since 04/07/2020)
Listed Status: II6 Angel Street
Tel: (01905) 21395
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Worcester Foregate Street
Station Distance: 200m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Worcester Foregate Street) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
Although the ground-floor layout of this old inn has been compromised, much remains from a quality 1950s refit. In the main bar, panelling on the left-hand walls is in a distinctive 1950s style while the semi-island bar counter and brick fireplace are also redolent of the era. On the right a smaller room/area has a different style of panelling, another period fireplace and fixed seating likely to be of the same date. A baronial-style function room upstairs has more dado panelling in the same style (but painted over) plus some pargetting on the walls depicting heraldic devices.
Three-storey house built c.1800 then converted to an inn. It was the Shakespeare until the 1990s and served as the interval pub for the nearby theatre. Although the ground floor room layout has been compromised there is much left from a good quality refurbishment in the 1950s, no doubt by Hunt Edmunds who owned the pub from 1936. On the left the walls are covered in panelling that is of a distinctive 1950s style (might be earlier) - a dado of vertical strips and fielded panelling with larger panels up to picture frame height. The semi island bar counter front has a 1950s style, the top could be of that date and the brick fireplace is a distinctive 1950s one. On the right the smaller room / area has a different style of panelling on the dado only now painted light grey, there is another 1950s brick fireplace and some fixed seating which may be of a similar date. The bar back fitting is modern. The door to the gents' loo has an old leaded glass window with some dimpled glass and 50s style diagonal lettering.
At the rear a staircase with good dado panelling matching the main bar right hand side style (and left hand side top panels) leads to a function room on the first floor. This Baronial-style room has panelling to the same design as downstairs (fielded pattern below, larger indented panels above) but has, unfortunately, been painted. The small items of pargetting depict heraldic devices - rose, lion, Fleur-de-lys, harp etc.