A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listedDads Lane
A typical large Birmingham suburban pub, built in the 1920s for Mitchells & Butlers. The public bar at the front corner of the pub still has its original counter, an elegant bar back (with 'M&B' carved in the pediment), wall-panelling to two-thirds height, and a decorated fireplace. The door to the rear lounge has given way to a wider opening and this room is now used for pool. The wall panelling here is a little more elaborate and the beams are decorated. The small curved counter is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. A separate side entrance leads to a mostly modernised lounge (formerly gents only in the days when it was still legal to exclude women from parts of a pub) and a plain function room with panelled walls and a segmental-shaped ceiling. A former off-license can also be discerned between the two entrances.
A typical Birmingham suburban brick pub, built in about 1929 (locals say 1922) for M&B - the attractive corner exterior has an unusual plaque over the main door. A public bar occupies the front corner of the pub, with a smaller former lounge behind, now with pool table - a wide opening now connects the rooms. Also retains a separate back lounge (formerly Gents Only), a function room and former off sales. The main room has an original bar counter and fine bar-back with 'M&B' carved into the pediment but fridges added but inappropriately positioned. Both rooms have wall panelling to 2/3rds height, Good decorative wood surround fireplace with part modern stone and glazed stone interior. Benches which may be modern, the dividers are definitely modern additions.
Across an entrance lobby on the left (so two walls taken down) which has a hatch to the servery is the lounge, now a pool room. It has a small curved counter added possibly in the 1950s. The wall panelling to 2/3rds height is slightly more elaborate than that in the public bar; also the beams in the lounge are decorated. Original stone, glazed stone fireplace with decorative wood above. Bench seating in two sections (possibly some missing?) and good cornice. Both ladies and gents and have terrazzo floors but modernised.
The former Gents Only lounge, previously only open Sunday afternoons, is now fully open after renovations in 2013. The bar counter and bar back are modern whilst original panelling is painted dark green and the remains of bell pushes are discernible. There is a wooden mantelpiece over the fireplace with a stone surround plus reupholstered bench seating along one wall and part of two others. A function room on the far right has panelled walls but little else. Between the public bar and the back lounge is the former off license.