Tower Arms

Essex - South Weald

A historic pub interior of regional importance

This pub is currently closed (since 01/01/2014)

Listed Status: II

Weald Road
South Weald
CM14 5QJ

OS ref: TQ572938

Tel: (01277) 210266

Real Ale: Yes

View on: Whatpub

A fine red-brick building dated 1704 and a pub since 1921. The central passage has original full-height panelling, a counter probably from the 1921 conversion and the original service bells. A counter of similar origin adorns the the main bar on the left, where two rooms have been knocked together. The rear area has plain matchboard dado panelling and a tiny hatch can be found in what remains of the dividing wall. The two rooms on the right also have full-height panelling and are linked by a modern folding partition. The emblem of the Tower family, owners of nearby Weald Hall, is over the front doorway.

Named after the Tower family, owners of Weald Hall, who bought the estate in 1752 and whose emblem is over the front doorway. This fine red brick building is dated 1704 and has been a pub since 1921. The central passage has original full height panelling, a counter which presumably dates from 1921, and the original service bells. The main bar counter of similar origin is situated in the front of two former rooms on the left which are now knocked together; bar back fittings are modern. The rear area has plain match-board dado panelling and in the remains of the wall between the two parts is what looks like a tiny serving hatch. Prior to 1921 it is likely that the rear room was the kitchen and the front a dining room. Note the rare pub game of Ring the Bull at the rear. The two rooms on the right retains their original full height panelling and are now linked with a modern folding partition replacing the wall. The rear part has a modern food bar and there is a conservatory-style extension at the rear.

Read More