A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed123 Calais Road
A Salt's brewery pub of 1904, this has a little altered public bar in a flat roof extension added in the inter-war times with original bar counter and bar back, the latter featuring a large semi-circular mirror as well as cupboards, drawers and mirrored panels. Also, an excellent vestibule entrance but fixed seating from the 1960s when the room as extended to the rear. To the left a small 'Men Only' room has some old bar fittings but is out of public use. The large lounge on two levels is an opening out in 1984 of a passageway with several rooms off it - two original fireplaces survive.
Built by Salt's Brewery in 1904 with a bowling green - now a car park. In the inter-war period a flat roof extension was added on the right which houses the public bar. While the left part is now a modernised lounge converted in 1984 from a number of small rooms, the present public bar is little-altered since it was created. It has an inter-war vestibule entrance, panelled bar counter of an inter-war style (replacement top), original bar back including cupboards and two drawers, also a large semi-circular mirror with small bar back fittings either side - left side has shelves, the right one more mirrored panels. The fixed seating look to date from the 1960s, which is when the room was expanded to the rear.
To the left of the public bar is the small 'Men Only' bar which retains some old bar fittings but having been used for storage in recent years is about to be converted into an office. What looks like an old off sales hatch still exists at the rear. The large lounge on two levels was originally a passageway with a number of rooms off it but combined in 1984 and original front door blocked up. Only two original fireplaces remain here.