A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II19 Hall End
Tel: (0121) 556 0197
Real Ale: Yes
Public Transport: Near Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
The layout of this small Victorian pub is relatively unaltered, the last changes probably dating from the 1970s. From the entrance corridor, with its tiled floor and hatch service, a plain front bar is on the right and has an old counter with mosaic glass front (perhaps applied in the 1970s) and plain old bar shelves with delicate spindle supports and mosaic glass. Across the corridor, the room now extending front to back was once two snugs and only the benches survive. Rear right, behind the servery, the small snug was converted from living quarters in the 1970s.
A small Victorian pub with a relatively unaltered layout and the most recent alterations probably dating from the 1970s. It has a double bay-windowed frontage and a central entrance leading into a corridor with red and black tiled floor. On the right is a good small plain front bar with the servery; there are benches in the bay, an old counter with mosaic glass front but modern top; and plain old bar shelves with delicate spindle supports and mosaic glass; the fireplace has gone. Hatch service to the corridor, then on the other side is a room extending from front to back; this was formerly two separate snugs, but now combined with the front door blocked up; the two fireplaces have gone, but there are benches all round. Rear-right behind the servery is a small snug with modern counter - converted from a living room in the 1970s. The décor is 'beamed' M&B style from the same period.
Listed Desc. says:"The pub is known locally as "Spittle's" because of its former landlord Jonah Spittle (1765 - 1844) who organised cock fights on adjacent land and was one of the subjects of the well-known broadside ballad "Wedgebury Cocking"."