A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed5 John Street, Walsall
Known locally as the Pretty Bricks because of its very attractive glazed-brick frontage, this 1840-built pub was much altered in 1924 and most of the resulting features are still there. The entrance leads into a passage (with the front bar off to the right) which opens out into a rear lobby, then a rear lounge with a new fireplace. In the centre is an irregularly-shaped servery (not quite its original layout), with good stained glass screens on the lounge side.
Originally the NEW INN, built in 1840. The pub has a very attractive glazed-brick frontage in brown and cream, hence a nickname PRETTY BRICKS which is now the pub's name. Formerly owned by Showells of Langley, who carried out alterations in 1924 (the plans are displayed inside); there have been further sympathetic minor alterations since, but most of the interior features survive. The entrance on the left leads to a passage; front bar on the right; the passage opens out into a small rear lobby, then a rear lounge with a new fireplace. In the centre is an irregularly-shaped servery (not quite its original layout), with good stained-glass screens on the lounge side.Read More