A historic pub interior which was of national or regional importance which is now permanently closed
This pub is permanently closed (since 04/01/2020)
Listed Status: Not listed52-54 Banbury Street
Tel: (0121) 643 0010
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Birmingham Moor Street
Station Distance: 450m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Birmingham Moor Street)
View on: Whatpub
Closed to be demolished for the new HS2 station. This pub is therefore re-categorised as Permanently Closed.
The former description is shown below.
One of several tile and terracotta pubs by the architects James & Lister Lea, this one dating from 1900. There has been a good deal of opening up but the original plan can easily be made out. The entrance on Banbury Street opens into what was a tiled corridor and enlarged drinking area (which would have had a hatch to the servery). This has now been opened to the L-shaped public bar which retains its counter. In common with other pubs of this vintage and in this area, there is a refitted smoke room at the rear. Copper ceiling tiles (now painted) in the public bar. This pub has very close similarities in its planning and furnishing to the White Swan on Bradford Street. Ansells' (the former owners) insignia in the window glass.
After being closed for many years, the pub reopened in December 2015. Sadly during the long period of closure the original bar back and bar counter top were removed from the pub. The original wood panelled dumb waiter survives though.
The upstairs function room is being brought back into use but there are no original features of note.
Update June 2015 - Threatened with a Compulsory Purchase Order for 2017 to be closed and converted into a site office for the construction of the planned HS2 terminus.