Pilot

West Midlands - Coventry

A historic pub interior of some regional importance

Listed Status: II

Burnaby Road
Coventry
CV6 4AU

OS ref: SP3292581968

Tel: (024) 7767 0990

Real ale & Cider: Real Ale

View on: Whatpub

A huge estate pub of 1938-9 by W S Clements for Atkinson's Brewery of Aston. It has been substantially altered but the right-hand room - formerly two - has several Art Deco features including a concertina-style wooden bar front; original dado panelling with built-in ventilation; a massive original timber fireplace surround enclosing a modern fireplace with big mirrors above; and a fragment of the original bar-back. On the first floor, is a function room with contemporary fixed seating to the bar area, shelving for storing customers' packages, coats etc, and impressive circular recesses in the ceiling for light fittings.

A huge estate pub of 1938-9 by W S Clements for Atkinson's Brewery of Aston. It has been substantially altered over the years but there are two areas of interest for Art Deco enthusiasts. The right-hand room - formerly two - has several Art Deco features including a concertina-style wooden bar front; original dado panelling with built-in ventilation; a massive original timber fireplace surround enclosing a modern fireplace with big mirrors above; and a fragment of the original bar-back, but no lower shelves. The toilets off this lounge have terrazzo floors and 1930s wall tiles; the Gents' have four original Twyford's urinals.

The left-hand side has been taken over by a restaurant (currently closed) but on the first floor, up a sweeping broad staircase with terrazzo top rail, is a function room with contemporary fixed seating to the bar area, shelving for storing customers' packages, coats etc, and impressive circular recesses in the ceiling for light fittings. This room is not normally open for use.

Read More