A historic pub interior of regional importance
This pub is currently closed (since 30/11/2020)
Listed Status: Not listedAlexandra Road
Tel: (01782) 619169
Real Ale: Yes
Nearby Station: Longport
Station Distance: 1850m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Longport) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
Although an old pub, the interest here derives mainly from a rebuild in 1935 following a fire. The central entrance leads into a terrazzo-tiled lobby, with a tiled dado and modern hatch counter. Beyond, the public bar may have been two rooms before the 1935 changes and some fittings are from that time though the counter and bar back are from a 2014 refurbishment. Front-right, the Smoke Room, now used for pool, has old benches and good ceiling cornice detail. The best room, though, is the splendid narrow lounge at the rear right. There are benches all round, except where a 'cocktail bar' was inserted in the 1950s, and above the benches is superb panelling with a few bell-pushes. Good ceiling cornices again. All the internal doors are from the 1935 refit. Opens 3pm Mon-Thu.
Probably a 19th century pub, but with interwar alterations, many of which survive. Rebuilt 1935 (possibly after a fire) by Parkers Burslem brewery? A substantially intact layout, although the public bar shows signs of being two rooms, possibly before the 1930s alterations. Central entrance into a wide terrazzo-tiled lobby bar, 1930s tiled dado and a modern hatch-counter on the left. Behind this is the public bar with old benches, a baffle by the door and a 1950s fireplace; the counter and bar back date from a 2014 refurbishment but are in the original position. An old fireplace survives in the right-hand section but has been boarded up. Front-right is the Smoke Room, now used for pool; it has original benches and good ceiling cornice detail, but has lost its fireplace.
The best room is rear-right: a splendid narrow, oddly-shaped lounge with good benches all round except for the insertion on the left of a narrow 1950s 'cocktail bar' with canopy and copper-topped counter; baffle by the door, most tables are copper-topped; above the benches is superb (sapele?) panelling to two-thirds height with a few bell-pushes; again some good ceiling cornices but a fireplace has been lost and the large window at the back is new. All 1930s doors internally retained with numbers on them. Twyford Adamant urinals, terrazzo floor and 1930s tiled dado in the Gents.